Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It's Been Awhile

It has been a long time. But, I thought the first of a month, in this case, October, would be an excuse to get back to blogging. Happens to be the beginning of the Jewish New Year, so, why not.

Anyway, politics has been crazy and religion, at least for me, has been intense. I'm tired of the politics and can't wait for the election to be over. As for religion...I have been exploring Orthodoxy with great earnestness the past several months. I have even been attending an Orthodoxy 101 class at the Greek Orthodox church only a few miles from where I live. Check it out at http://www.holytrinity.oh.goarch.org/ . I talked to Fr. Bill about the core of my predicament, which is if it is possible to be a United Methodist and an Orthodox Christian at the same time. Unfortunately, he said I can't have it both ways.

I am committed to the United Methodist church and do not consider my ordination invalid or my place as a pastor in the United Methodist church as the wrong place for me. I believe God still wills me to be a United Methodist pastor. And yet, I remain very drawn to the fullness of orthodoxy, particularly its worship life and richness of its tradition. My spirit is strongly fed by my experience of orthodox worship and prayer. I am feeling pulled in that direction. So, does God want me to remain as a pastor in the UMC, or is God beckoning me to leave my ancestral home and go to another land that He will show me?

As I move into the fourth decade of my life, I feel myself also moving into a new place in my spiritual journey. Destination at the moment is unknown.

No comments: