Thursday, January 17, 2008

I just finished watching Ben Bernake, the Fed. Reserve chair, address a house committee regarding the state of the economy. I am so impressed with his clear thinking. But, I tell you, what a job. Financial crises come and go. I believe that as a country we will make it through this crisis. But, I really worry about the longterm sustainbility of our country. When you combine the aging of the population, our out of control government spending, crushing personal debt, things really do have to change quickly. And I really do believe that the wealthiest must pay more. We must spend more money on public works and infrastructure. We have got to stop spending so much money on defense. And my generation will just have to grind it out and hope that our grandkids have it better.
The other thing that crossed my mind when listening to this hearing is the reassurance that there is a lot more to life than the economy. Times can be really rough. But a meaningful life can be lived regardless of a country's or family's financial position.
Interesting time we live in.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

Welcome to the blog world! It's fun, and the tools make it pretty easy to do.

I agree with all of your observations. The economy is always in such a delicate balance, and the stock market is more of a psychological phenomenon than a scientific one.

and I agree that a meaningful life can be lived without "stuff". Humans are very resourceful - I hope we continue to reach within for satisfaction and measures of "success".